Beach Cat Team Racing

The place for discussions about SL and RL sailing, grid-happenings, and other topics of general interest.

Beach Cat Team Racing

Postby Jane Fossett » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:33 am

Just about all SL sailboat races now involve boats that are controlled by a single sailor. A dedicated race skipper in SL leads a solitary existence.
In real life, however, a lot of fun comes from racing boats with a crew of two or more sailors. The crew needs to work as a coordinated team to control the boat and win races.
Several of us have talked about trying to do team racing in SL using the TruCor Beach Cat, since the Beach Cat can be sailed by two people. The skipper controls the tiller and main, and the crewperson sheets the jib. Both sailors work to balance the boat by shifting their weight in a coordinated way.

On Wednesday, October 10 at 5:00pm SLT we'd like to try out a team race with Beach Cats to see if it works, and see what problems come up. If the race is as much fun as we think, we'll be back to schedule a bunch more.

If you'd like to come race with us on Wednesday, here are the details so far:

Course: NYC race course B1. We'll try to do four races.
Wind: Standard NYC wind, spd 11.
Boats: TruCor Beach Cat v2.0 (if you have the original, the upgrade is free)
Sailors: Only 2-person teams can sail. If you're a skipper who want to race your cat... find a friend quick.
Rules: Standard SLSF Race Rules, (but remember this is just a test race)
Start line ID: To use the start line, you'll need to edit your boat's file name using your racing ID number. It's easy, and the steps are detailed in the Trudeau Racing Thread here.

I'll add copies of the charts and more details over the next few days. Since this is a 'test race' to see what a team race looks like, I'd appreciate any ideas people have as we go along.
Last edited by Jane Fossett on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jane Fossett

Race Charts

Postby Jane Fossett » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:04 am

Here's a copy of NYC B1. The course is easy to follow, so no one will get lost (just keep the island to starboard). It also has long reaches that are catamaran-friendly.
B1 only takes about five minutes, so we may have time to do several races in order to tinker with things (like the wind speed).
Jane Fossett

Postby Jane Fossett » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:50 am

After many discussions about scheduling, I've added a second, GMT-friendly slot for the crewed beach cat 'test' races.
Please join us on Wednesday, October 10 at either 11:00am or 5:00pm SLT at NYC.
Here are a few more details:

Course: NYC race course B1. We'll try to do four races.
Wind: Standard NYC wind, spd 11.
Boats: TruCor Beach Cat v2.0 (if you have the original, the upgrade is free)
Sailors: Only 2-person teams can sail. If you're a skipper who want to race your cat... find a friend quick.
Rules: Standard SLSF Race Rules, (but remember this is just a test race)
Start line ID: To use the start line, you'll need to edit your boat's file name using your racing ID number. It's easy, and the steps are detailed in the Trudeau Racing Thread here.
Equipment: The Skipper should give the 'crew kit' to the Crew. Both the skipper and crew must wear the beach cat harness (it's a prim attachment) and the HUD. The 'Jacket' is optional. Sailors need to sync their HUDs.
The skipper can optionally decide to raise the jib using the chat command: "/1 raiseJib" The crew controls the jib once raised.
There is no penalty for a capsize.
GESTURES are allowed for basic functions, such as raising sails and mooring. It is illegal for a skipper to use gestures to trim sails in a race (since the crew needs to control the jib).
A boat must finish with both sailors aboard. If your crew falls overboard, pick them up.

I'll add more comments as issues come up.
Last edited by Jane Fossett on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane Fossett

practice time

Postby Jane Fossett » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Candid picture of crewed beach cats practicing on the NYC start line today, preparing for tomorrow's 'test race.'
Independent assessments of the sailors' skill levels varied from "Abysmal" to "Pathetic," which made it even more fun.
Jane Fossett

Postby Pensive Mission » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:07 am

Jane Fossett wrote:
GESTURES are allowed for basic functions, such as raising sails and mooring. It is illegal for a skipper to use gestures to trim sails in a race (since the crew needs to control the jib).

I have not found a way for crew to use gestures to control the jib. If anyone has, I'd like to hear about it. Jacq told me long ago she thought it *was* possible. Perhaps I didn't get the memo ...

I also am unaware that the skipper can control the jib either with chat or gestures. I don't see the connection between the skipper using gestures to trim (the main) and the necessity for the crew to control the jib, and thus I question why we need a rule prohibiting gestures altogether. When I sail with crew, I use gestures to control the main, and my crew uses the HUD to control the jib.
Pensive Mission

Postby Yuukie Onmura » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:56 am

Pensive Mission wrote:I also am unaware that the skipper can control the jib either with chat or gestures. I don't see the connection between the skipper using gestures to trim (the main) and the necessity for the crew to control the jib, and thus I question why we need a rule prohibiting gestures altogether. When I sail with crew, I use gestures to control the main, and my crew uses the HUD to control the jib.

amen.

I tried to set up gestures for main and jib, and basically, unless you wear the crew hud, you have no acess at all to the jib.

I have a set of crew gestures that should work for a crew member wearing the crew hud, though.

but to forbid gestures at all is more or less ridiculous. sorry about that open word. The control over your sails you have when you can only click with your mouse or use the cursor keys is by far neither fast enough nor precise enough for anything that comes even close to racing. Besides, there are trapeze positions that are only accessible via chat commands; but since the trudeau boats only listen on channel 1, i always have to type /1 in front a command. And on my german keyboard, / means to press Shift+7. Show me how to do that quickly without letting go of either the mouse (needed for the hud, thanks to banning gestures) or the normal position of your left hand on the keyboard (AWSD anyone?), and you earn an unlimited cookie supply.

I could pass around my gestures for inspection, if necessary; actually, jacqueline has them.

bye,
Y
Yuukie Onmura

Beach Cat Gestures

Postby Jane Fossett » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 am

Yuukie Onmura wrote:
Pensive Mission wrote:I also am unaware that the skipper can control the jib either with chat or gestures. ...

I tried to set up gestures for main and jib, and basically, unless you wear the crew hud, you have no acess at all to the jib.

I think there are at least two issues here.
1. Skipper control of the jib: I'm confused; I'm pretty sure the skipper can sheet the jib. I'm attaching a series of pictures of my beach cat, single-handed, while I wore the skipper hud. To make it clear, I only raised the jib, using the chat command "/1 raiseJib." I then used gestures to sheet the jib. The different sheet setting are shown on the picture.
2. Racing Gestures: Most people write gestures that adjust all the sheet settings for a particular point of sail. My gestures for the beach cat let the skipper adjust both the jib and main sail. However, in a 2-person crewed race, I think the jib should be controlled by the crew, not the skipper.
I've had a chance to look at Yuukie's gestures, and I agree with her. Her skipper gestures only control the main, and her crew gestures only control the jib. Her gestures seem ok for 2-person crewed racing. I'll modify the "Rule" about gestures to make it more clear. How about:
GESTURES are allowed. However, it is illegal for a skipper to use gestures or chat commands to sheet the jib, or for the crew to use gestures or chat commands to sheet the main sail.
Jane Fossett

Re: Beach Cat Gestures

Postby Yuukie Onmura » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:36 am

Jane Fossett wrote:GESTURES are allowed. However, it is illegal for a skipper to use gestures or chat commands to sheet the jib, or for the crew to use gestures or chat commands to sheet the main sail.

That's much better.

hmm... when i tried to raise/set jib it didnt work... but then, at that time no chat commands for the beach cat worked for me since i didnt knew that the commands are case sensitive.

guess i'll make me a set of "singlehanded" gestures for my beach cat now, that control main and jib.
but then, with both sails raised, i dont think that the mass of only a skipper is enough to keep her balanced anyways... we'll see.
Yuukie Onmura

October 10 race recap

Postby Jane Fossett » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:01 am

Thank you to everyone who came out for the 11am and 5pm races yesterday!
My own impression was that the lag was managable with 4-5 crewed race boats (plus spectators).
I also thought the wind speed of 11 was just about right -- The boats were controlable, but easily capsized if the team made a mistake.

I'd appreciate more feedback to help plan a regular schedule of beach cat races!
Last edited by Jane Fossett on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane Fossett

Re: October 10 race recap

Postby Yuukie Onmura » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 am

Jane Fossett wrote:I'd appreciate more feedback to help plan a regular schedule of beach cat races!

Since i couldnt make it to either of the races, only one feedback from me:

add 9 hours to SLT to get the time over here in central europe.

bye,
Y.
Yuukie Onmura

Skipper Gestures for the Beach Cat

Postby Jane Fossett » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:36 pm

As Yuukie and Pensive discussed earlier, a skipper can control many beach cat functions and and also trim the sails by using a series of F-key gestures.
Gestures often make sailing easier.
I'm re-doing a Gesture set for my own use, and I'd be happy to share them with anyone who leaves me a message in SecondLife.
The Gestures are pretty simple, and similar to the Tako gestures. Most people can probably write their own.
For example, I have one gesture that quickly raises the main and jib. It's handy when you capsize:
Chat: /1 raiseJib
Chat: /1 raise

I use several other gestures to sheet the sails for specific tacks. For a broad reach with wind= 90 degrees:
Chat: /1 m 90
Wait: Until animations are done
Chat: /1 m -45
Chat: /1 j 90
Chat: /1 j -45

Other sheet-setting gestures are similar, substituting the different sheet adjustments for each point of sail.
Jane Fossett

Crew gestures for the Beach Cat, and other stuff

Postby Pensive Mission » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Jane and I had a go at this today and I think we convinced ourselves that a Beach Cat crewperson can NOT use chat or gesture commands to trim sails or hike. However, Yuukie said above she could do it, and I remember asking Jacqueline about this when the first Cat arrived, and she thought it was possible. Perhaps Yuukie will drop her crew gestures on me sometime.

I like Jane's rule that in the 2-person Beach Cat races the main and jib are to be controlled only by skipper and crew respectively.

By the way, the races last night at 5PM were a hoot (and not just because I was lucky to get to crew for Melanie). Kudos to Jane for organizing and running this -- I look forward to the next races.

Finally, I was wrong about the skipper and the jib. I fell afoul of that pesky capital J in /1 raiseJib. I would like to point out that this means all my solo Beach Cat hotlaps were with main only. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it. :wink:
Pensive Mission

Hud lite

Postby schnoogge broome » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:07 am

I love what is happening in the Beach Cat Community and hope that it keeps growing in momentum, WD Jane.

What I'd love would be to have a Hud lite for the Beach Cat.

All I realy need is the wind direction and sail angle. In the today SL worl of lag my poor hud never lasts an entire race, ruch like my old info hud for the tako.

Dose anyone have any ideas.

Take care
Schnoogge
schnoogge broome

Postby M1sha Dallin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:11 am

I would like to point out that this means all my solo Beach Cat hotlaps were with main only. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.

Same problem here, all my solo efforts have been under main only :oops: must read the instructions more carefully.
M1sha
M1sha Dallin

Re: Crew gestures for the Beach Cat, and other stuff

Postby Yuukie Onmura » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:36 am

Pensive Mission wrote:Perhaps Yuukie will drop her crew gestures on me sometime.

dropped. the full set: skipper (crewed), skipper (solo: main+jib), and crew.

skipper (solo) is a bad batch right now, have to work on it some more.
Yuukie Onmura

Next

Return to General Discussion